Saturday, August 3, 2013

Growing up . . . independence and nail biting




13 years and five months ago, Greg DiRusso (Carson's heart surgeon) said to me, "One of the hardest things for you, with Carson, will be to let him be a normal kid.  When he's a forty year old man, he will still be your baby who had heart surgery."  Yip!!  How right he was!  Although Carson is very healthy and his friends fight to keep up with him, there is always that extra worry in my fevered brain.

Having said this, we both reached a milestone this week.  Carson was thrilled to leave on his first week long scout camp and I was happy to see him do that.  A bit stressed maybe, but happy for him.   There was the usual time of gathering supplies, getting his physical exam done, and packing up gear.  Then he was off with his group at 8:00 Monday morning.



Then it was time to buddy around with Micah and Dakota.  Micah loved the first few days of going on every errand with me, and just talking about whatever.  Talking runs in our family :)  Anyway, I had this really beautiful moment with him.  We were driving in our vehicle and somehow got on the subject of  saying verbally to people how much we love them.  I said that children are never too old, nor parents too busy to say "I love you" to each other.  Micah said something about ,"Well, there may be a time, like if you were in the hospital with oxygen or something."   To which I replied, "Then I would use my last breath to tell you how much I love you."  There was silence from the seat next to me.  When I looked over, he was wiping tears from his eyes.  "I know you love me that much, Mom."  There are no words for how much I adore this boy!  Heart-breaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment