Monday, June 29, 2015

My Writing life


Yes, it's true.  I agree with Emily.  I do dwell in possibility.  I love the process, the work, and the possibility that something amazing is around the corner.  Some truly wonderful things have happened to me over the last few years.  Back to the days that I first showed Judy Johns my work, and I joined Word Weavers.  The first time I met a Pulitzer Prize winning poet in person.  Wow, I felt like I was sitting near greatness!  Then there was the first contest win, and eventually my first publication.  A few years later, I won the contest which gave my first chapbook collection a home.  I poured my heart and soul into my writing.  No one could tell me what to say.  It was the one thing I had true control of.  And it saved me in so many ways, gave me a voice when I thought I had none.


One of my poems "Whale Watching" was made into a Broadside and inserted into each Winter issue of a poetry journal in Oregon.  My work was published in 20 poetry journals and magazines.

My writing slowed down for awhile.  Survival mode and three jobs made it difficult to be inspired.  I felt like I was dry and barren.  I wasn't.  I was healing from many years of abuse.  My children and I , we were healing.

Today I am returning to my inspired self again.  The words of poems I love so much are swimming through my brain.  I can see them when I close my eyes to sleep.  I bought some new (and used) poetry books. Rumi, Mary Oliver, and Federico Garcia Lorca.  I read and read them.  I am crazy in love with Lorca! Wow, what an inspiration.   I am writing like I once did, early mornings, and sometimes late into the night.  I feel like me again.  It's coming back together, this life which I once thought I had lost.  I am writing and submitting, and contacting my writer friends again.  I'm back.

There was a question in a magazine.  It said something like:  Are you just biding time, or are you doing what you feel you are meant to do?   Yes, I absolutely am.

No comments:

Post a Comment