Tuesday, September 1, 2015

This precious life of mine


Almost a year ago, at this time,  I almost lost my life.  It's difficult to think about  it now, but it is true.   I had a bad UTI infection, which spread through my entire system.  For the next two weeks, I laid in my bed unable to keep food down, with fever and chills so bad that I could hardly speak because of my chattering teeth.  A mistake was made by a doctor's PA, who said I had not waited long enough for the antibiotic to work.  By the time my husband demanded we go to the emergency room, I had to be almost carried to the vehicle by Paul and Dakota.  Once on the way, I felt myself losing consciousness and vision.  I couldn't see when I was wheeled to the ER and the doctor put me on a CPR board and hit the critical alarm.  I heard them saying that they couldn't get a blood pressure, and I felt myself fading.  They put a large IV in each arm, and opened the lines, so that I could rapidly get fluid.  After the fluid, my vision started coming back, and I saw the concerned doctor's face for the first time. I then received two units of blood.  After several hours in the ER, I was moved to ICU for two days.  There I received more fluid, blood, and IV antibiotics to fight the deadly infection in my body, and lots of tests.  It was in ICU that the doctor sat with me, and told me how serious my condition had been.  He said that I was severely dehydrated, anemic, and had a systemic infection.  If Paul hadn't brought me when he did, I probably would not have made it. I had great care there and was moved to the floor for a few more days to get my strength back, and then home to recover.  Most of all, God watched over me.  I have not doubt that my Maker kept me alive.  He was with me, as always, when I needed him.

In October, I had a hysterectomy so that I would not become anemic again, and began to feel a whole lot better.

Life is so precious.  I am grateful for mine.  On this year anniversary of this illness, I want to express my thanks, and my wish to live always in gratitude. Gratitude for my own life, and the lives of others.





No comments:

Post a Comment