Tuesday, September 27, 2011

This is the time . . .

I had a sudden realization last night about something I hadn't thought about in years. 

Micah is learning to type correctly on the keyboard.  We were discussing it, and I thought about my typing classes, and my Mom always typing samples for me.  This is what she always typed . . . "This is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."  I payed no attention to it then.  They were just words on a page, typed and spelled correctly, in a small amount of seconds.  No, they weren't.  In her high school typing class, during World War 2, her teacher had taught them to type the country's slogan.  It was the "catch phrase."  The "call to arms" of her generation.  Never mind all the sadness that she and her friends faced in those years.  She was still typing that "call" from the war years 40 years later.  Life imprints on us in strange ways.

I can still type it without even thinking about it.  "This is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country." 

No comments:

Post a Comment