Today I was going to work at the Library, but I didn't. It's as simple as that. I just treated myself to a day off. No one probably deserves it more, I told myself.
This evening, I've been sitting on Micah's bed with him, reading "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe." We are slowly working our way through "The Chronicles of Narnia." I love to watch the expression in his large hazel eyes as I read to him. He's enchanted with those books the same way I was when I was a child. In fact, we are reading my old paperback copies of them.
After we read, I was thinking about the wooden miniature cupboard that my Dad made for me. It sits next to Micah's bed. A few of my old dinosaur stickers still occupy a place on the formica surface. Now "Pepper" and "Sushi" live on it in their bowls. There is also a Gravedigger truck, several scattered books and notebooks, and a glass coke bottle because "it's so cool." Around the headboard of the bed, there are several Cub Scout lanyards with symbols and trinkets on them.
It's a messy room but it belongs to Carson and Micah. Everything in it screams their names. It's one of my favorite places. They also have a habit of going through my special "kept things" and adopting a few of them for their own space. I told Dakota one day that I feel like my "treasures" are being passed out while I'm still alive :)
I am so grateful to have this evening at home. I absolutely adore my children. Life will never be better than this time with all of them at home. I know that with all of my being. Even though there are hard times, this is the best time. Of all the places I would like to travel and all the adventures I would like to go on, I like being here with my son, reading in his room, most of all.
No comments:
Post a Comment