Tuesday, January 12, 2016
Goodbye, Major Tom
Yesterday, I woke up to the news that David Bowie had passed away from cancer. As my friend Kim said on Facebook, "to say he was an icon is an understatement." So many of us loved this visionary singer, actor, and song writer that he was. I met him as just a small kid, sitting with my parents in our family room, watching this wild looking space guy with a guitar, singing on TV. Then some years later, watching him sing wearing a nice tailored suit, with just that blonde hair, one blue eye and one green eye. "Changes," as his song said. Always changing and pushing the barrier a little more. Through it all, that beautiful voice.
I can't remember any of my life without Bowie's music, and I'm glad it's that way. I will remember a man who wrote, and sang amazing things. Someone who was eccentric but classy. He couldn't stand to be boring, and I wonder now if he viewed heaven as another grand adventure. I like to think they have a great voice up there.
Always one for drama and a sense of humor, he released his last album two days before he died and left us with his swan song "Lazarus."
"This way or no way
You know, I'll be free
Just like that bluebird
Now ain't that just like me."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment