Saturday, January 2, 2016

The Royals



There are certain things that seem to carry through the ages from our ancestors.  I have not been aware of most of these. The English Royal family, for instance.  My mother and I both loved the news about them. When I was a young woman, we set the alarm, got up at 3:00 a.m. to watch Princess Diana's wedding.  It was like a fairy tale on live TV.  I have never forgotten it, and how much fun it was sharing that time with my mom.  My admiration of Diana grew over the years, and I was heartsick when she was killed.

When my mom was frail and sick, I would bring magazines to the hospital sometimes and we would read about the royal news.  It was fun for both of us. I never knew that I was protective about this until Paul casually told me he doesn't care for the royals in England and would never bow (even in respect) to the Queen.  I didn't like that.  No, I really didn't. I felt personally insulted, silly as that may be.


My maiden name is Woodward.  We are descended from Richard the Third (yes, the Richard the Third whose body was recently found and buried in a State funeral in England).  My ancestor was given the job of  keeping the woods, like the "Duke of Nottingham."  That is how our name came to be.  On my mother's side, we are related to Anne Boleyn.

Queen Elizabeth was born the same year my mother was (1926). They had lived through the same times in life. My mom watched her coronation when she was a very young woman. She always said that Elizabeth had carried so much on her shoulders and ruled with dignity for so many years.

Why do I like them?  Maybe because the Queen is the longest living monarch ever, and I admire that. Maybe because the monarchy rules the country of most of my ancestors.  The motherland I would still be living in if my family had not come here.  Maybe because my skin is porcelain and my hair is red, and when I was in Finland, people always asked me if I am English.  No, I'm not, but my family was. Yes, the monarchy does make me feel in a strange way, like home.  If I ever met the Queen, I would happily curtsy to her with much respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment