Sunday, February 13, 2011

The friends in my life

I've given gifts to my husband and children.  I've got Valentines and treats ready for work tomorrow.  Now I need to dedicate some time to say a huge Happy Valentine's Day to the women friends in my life.  I am blessed more than I can express with great friends.  I'm not as ambitious as Melody, to list them all alphabetically.  I do, however, want to thank the five women who are for various reasons, closest to me.  I won't haunt anyone with childhood pics here:) 

My mother once told me that in her worst moments, it was almost always her women friends who came to her aid.  I was able to see that played out when she was so ill.  They came to help her (and me).  One of her friends still sends me birthday cards every year, and has since I was born.

Here we go:


Katie:  You are my oldest (and I don't mean age) friend.  We met when we were four years old, and are as close today as we were back then.  You always make me laugh, and have no judgment of others.  Few people are as accepting and kind as you are.  Knowing that I can come to you with anything, sustains me and gives stability to my life.  I once joked that I could shave my head and run off and live with the natives, and you would come to visit me.  Yes, you would.  You share the childhood memories of my parents, that I have no one else to share with.  I adore you, and am so thankful that you came back from Iran and into my life all those years ago. 



Minna:  My Sister from Finland.  Though the miles have kept us apart for many years, you remain in my heart just as you did when you lived in our home.  Two girls from different countries.  I learned to respect you, your culture, and beliefs.  More than that, I found a sister for life.  No one talks, laughs, and smiles like you do.  You hugged me in the night when my grandma passed away, held my hand when life was difficult.  You have given me a relationship that I cherish.  I love you always.



Tracie:  I met you seven years ago, when we moved into our house.  Immediately, it was like we had known each other forever.  We always have so much fun together.  Your support and friendship means a great deal to me.  I admire the many kindnesses you do for others.  You have a "sparkle" about you that draws others in.  I know that I can talk to you, and we can laugh or cry together.  I also have come to think of you as family.  You are a beautiful person, and I am thankful that you are in my life.



Rynell:  I love this picture of you and Audrey.  I always admired you so much in Poetry group.  You were someone for me to look up to, and aspire to be so talented.  I didn't know then that you would become so much more.  You have become a great support in my life.  Without you, during a very difficult time, I am not sure that my chapbook would have become a reality.  Whenever I fall back, it seems that you are there to break my fall.  You check on me, take me for rides, and just talk when I need to.  You have become very dear to me, and I am grateful for your friendship.



Melody:  I already know what you are saying, "That picture??"  Sorry, but I love this one.  Your son captured your essence, two of the things I have come to love about you.  You are the hip hot woman in those Italian boots.  I've always admired you for your togetherness and accomplishments.  You are, however, also the nurturing woman with the flirty apron.  Like Rynell, you are a fabulous writer, who has become a close friend.  I will never forget the warm Christmas lights still on your house when I came to talk to you a few days ago.  You have a great way to decorate a space, but you are warmer inside than all those lights.  I am so thankful for your kindness, and the way you make me feel understood.


Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!  You are truly extraordinary women, and I am blessed to know you.  And thanks to all the many beloved friends I did not mention here.  I am blessed to have you all in my life.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind words. It's all mutual, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blog. . .and I like "Stacy's Place." And now I'm a bit teary-eyed. Thank you for being my friend too. You are a gift. I will visit this place again soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. You were exactly right! "That picture??" But your words made it all okay. More than okay.

    ReplyDelete