Thursday, December 15, 2011

The "Christmas Junkie" in me!

Have I mentioned that I call myself a "Christmas Junkie" for good reason?  I love the season.  I was born five days before Christmas, and grew up in a holiday loving family.  I hope to pass on the tradition to my own children.  Of course, Christmas is about the birth of Jesus.  For me, there is a magic about it that you never grow out of.  I love the traditions which surround this time of year.  Great childhood memories of hot cocoa, taking rides to look at lights, making cut-out sugar cookies (with my mom's tin cookie cutters), choosing a tree and spending a whole evening decorating it.  My Grandma always spent Christmas night at our house, and slept with me in my room.  She was worse than any kid, and kept me awake with excitement most of the night.  I remember her whispering  "Did you hear that?  I think there's something on the roof."  This would go on until my Mom would yell from the other room, "Mother, you two go to sleep!"  Then we would giggle and giggle.  What a lovely time those years with my Grandma were, and how warm I still feel when I think of her smile and her laugh.

Now, of course, I love doing all these things with my own family.  My boys are also very traditional about the things we do at this time of year.  They remind me if I forget anything.  And yes, I'm still silly about it, and spend all the time I can doing fun Christmas things.  Merry Christmas to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment