My son Micah and I had an interesting conversation, which revolved around him wondering if I want to be a famous poet. Famous? Hum. Not likely. Accomplished, that's a goal. Recognizably famous, slim chance.
A couple of weeks ago, a very ordinary looking man walked into my office to rent a soil auger, for the purpose of adding iron to the soil around his tree. No one else payed any attention as I helped him fill out his rental form. However, I knew this man was Lance Larsen. He had helped me by critiquing some of my work a few years ago. He has even given me books and signed his own books for me. With a little prompting, he remembered me, and happily talked with me about poetry. He asked what I am doing, if I have any publications coming out. We discussed his favorable opinion of the magazine I am about to be published in. He said he still has my chapbook. And I was thrilled! He laughed about seeing me again, by chance, in my office, and went on his way with a big smile. He was not gone long until I said to anyone within earshot, "Do you guys know who that was? That was Lance Larsen, Utah State Poet Laureate!!" They were impressed, but not as excited as me. No one could subdue my happiness for the rest of the day. I was floating on my own little cloud.
Back to my son's question. There are many contemporary poets who have been very successful, and deserve to be famous. And to a certain number of us, they certainly are. I have a collection of signed poetry books. Along with my photos, letters, and handmade gifts from my children, they are some of my most treasured possessions. I don't mind bragging that I have met some gifted writers. However, I doubt any of those wonderful people are consistently bothered for an autograph in restaurants. In fact, they are probably surprised when they are recognized at all. They can take heart, there will always be someone like me, who will recognize a somewhat blue collar looking guy in jeans as the brilliant rock star he really is!!
No comments:
Post a Comment