Monday, January 30, 2017

Church in the Mountains

Years ago, I picked up my children with my own strength for the last time.  They were too heavy and grown up to jump in mom's arms and be told everything was okay.  That did not mean their need for help, guidance, and comfort stopped, but I could no longer do it all for them.  Now I find that I need to pick them up with a different kind of strength.  One I am afraid I don't have enough of sometimes.  There are "boogie men" out there far worse than the ones they once feared under their beds.               

Yesterday, after a night of prayer and restless sleep, I was inspired to go where I always go when I need peace and healing.  The mountains.  It is truly God's country there and a place that my Dad always loved more than any other.  In his footsteps, I learned that help from our Creator can be found better there.   
                                                                                                                                     
My husband and sons loved the idea so we headed southward for the hills.  As we drove higher into the town of Eureka, the inversion disappeared, and we were treated to a gorgeous day and the solitude we needed.  We looked around, checked out the town's beautiful old church, and ate together at the only diner in town. Our server is studying to be a history teacher, and so she was happy to join us in conversation about the old city.  If there had been a hotel, I would have been tempted to escape our  lives for a few days, and just stay there.  
  






No comments:

Post a Comment